On Saturday, April 15th HLAA-TC met on Zoom for the April 2023 chapter meeting. We welcomed hearing loss advocate Shari Eberts and she gave a presentation on “How to Live Skillfully with Hearing Loss.” We recorded her presentation and the question and answers afterwards and the video is available to view on our YouTube page and our website. For a list of links to pertinent things discussed during the meeting, continue reading this blog post.
Sites of Interest from the April Chapter Meeting:
- Living With Hearing Loss is the website and blog of Shari Eberts: https://livingwithhearingloss.com/
- Link to Shari’s book on Amazon, but local members be sure to email email@example.com to purchase a copy from us (HLAA-TC is selling copies to members of Shari’s book that we’ve purchased).
- N-CHATT is the technology program that Shari mentions in the Q & A: N-CHATT (Network of Consumer Hearing Assistive Technology Trainers): is a volunteer consumer train-the-trainer program. ”The program’s goal is to build a network of consumer trainers with the knowledge and skills necessary to train others impacted by hearing loss. Trainers will assist others in the successful integration of hearing assistive technology to support individual hearing and communication needs at home, work, school, and the community.
- Various Facebook Groups on Hearing Loss:
- Doctor Cliff, AuD is a YouTube Channel that Shari mentioned in the Q and A that does a lot of content on hearing loss and product review
- In the Q&A the Sunflower “hidden disabilities” program is mentioned: https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/us/
- Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Program at MSP Airport: https://www.mspairport.com/airport/accessibility/hidden-disabilities-sunflower-program
- TSA Passenger Support: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support
- Request for TSA Cares Assistance: https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/cares
The Next HLAA-TC chapter meeting is Saturday, May 20th. After our May meeting HLAA-TC will be on break from chapter meetings until September. To see a meeting schedule: https://www.hlaatc.org/meetings/
The HLAA-TC book club next meets on Tuesday, May 23rd to discuss the memoir “What’s that pig outdoors: Memoir of Deafness” by Henry Kisor. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for book club Zoom link. Book Club will continue to meet during the summer on the fourth Tuesday of the month. To find out a reading schedule for the rest of 2023, visit our Book Club page: https://www.hlaatc.org/book-club/