Book Club Book Chat summary and June’s book
Thank you so much to those who attended our informal chat on Tuesday. It was a lot of fun and so comfortable to chat with everyone even if we didn’t focus on one book (or books in particular… very much). We definitely want to do something like this again.
The next Book Club is June 27th and it’s a Questions and Answers with Henry Kisor about his book “What’s that pig outdoors?” Send Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org your questions for Henry by no later than June 20th.
Links and talking points from our Book Club/Chat:
- A member encountered a different transcription app called Scribr. It’s .99 cents and offers some unique features such as transcribing voice memos, a means to organize transcribed files and it recognizes 10 different languages. Apple App Store
- Speaking of different languages, did you know that Zoom will translate a foreign language being spoken in the Zoom meeting and display the translated text in the captions? (Hard to know how accurate the translation is without trying it out). Read about how to do that here.
- Transcription App that picks up really well in not ideal acoustics (it’s only Apple, not Android): Group Transcribe: A Microsoft Garage Product
- We talked about technology a fair bit (as you can see) and several previous HLAA-TC blogs on technology for hearing loss were mentioned, you can read those technology blog posts here and here.
- A member was recommending a local Minnesota author: William Kent Kruger (crime/mystery novelist). His highly acclaimed book from several years ago was “Ordinary Grace.”
- An historical novel was mentioned, “By Her Design” by Piper Huguley, it is a fictionalized account of a true thing: an African American woman, Ann Lowe, who designed Jackie Bouvier’s (highly regarded) wedding dress when she married John F. Kennedy. About the dress; About Ann Lowe (the designer).
This Book Club Chat was fun to talk about all manner of subjects (not just hearing loss, deafness or disability). As mentioned, the next Book Club is on June 27th and we are having a Questions and Answers session with author Henry Kisor on his memoir “What’s that pig outdoors: A Memoir Of Deafness” (the link to register for that June book club will soon be on our website).